This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Pneumothorax is a condition commonly encountered by emergency physicians. Bilateral pneumothorax is a rare occurence. We present a case of self-induced bilateral pneumothorax in an intravenous drug abuser. Causes of bilateral pneumothorax are reviewed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Complications of attempted central venous injections performed by drug abusers.Chest. 1981; 78: 613-617
- Pneumothorax: A complication of skin popping.WJ Med. 1983; 138: 272
- Central venous catheterization.in: Roberts J. Hedges J. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. WB Saunders, 1985: 321-332
- Pneumothorax in drug abusers: A complication of internal jugular venous injections.Ann Emerg Med. 1983; 12: 167-170
- Metastatic sarcoma. Bilateral pneumothoraces as initial manifestation.NY St J Med. 1978; 78: 2229-2230
- Spontaneous bloody pneumothorax.J Med Soc NJ. 1982; 79: 583-584
- Bilateral pneumothoraces and pleural effusions in rheumatoid lung disease.Thorax. 1984; 39: 213-214
- A case of total bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax.Scand J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1983; 17: 175
- Bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax in sarcoidosis.Postgrad Med J. 1983; 59: 106-107
- Bilateral pneumothorax with pneumomediastinum under anaesthesia in a healthy female.Can Anaesth Soc J. 1982; 29: 391-394
- Marfan's syndrome presenting as bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax.Postgrad Med J. 1981; 57: 240-241
- Bilateral pneumothorax as an early sign in a child with histiocytosis X.Acta Paediatr Belg. 1981; 94: 43-45
- Tuberculosis presenting with multiple bilateral pulmonary nodules and a pneumothorax.Can Med Assoc J. 1980; 122: 1395-1397
- Bronchogenic carcinoma presenting as spontaneous pneumothorax: Report of two cases and review of the literature.NC Med J. 1980; 41: 804-807
- Catamenial pneumothorax: Case report and a review of the literature.Am Surg. 1979; 45: 340-343
- Bilateral spontaneous pneumothorax in nongestational choriocarcinoma.Can Med Assoc J. 1979; 120: 830-831
- Bilateral pneumothoraces secondary to iatrogenic buffalo chest: An unusual complication of median sternotomy and subclavian vein catheterization.Ann Surg. 1984; 199: 372-374
- Bilateral pneumothoraces complicating peritoneoscopy (letter).Gastrointest Endosc. 1984; 30: 45-46
- Bilateral pneumothorax resulting from the bronchoscopic removal of a puncture vine fuite.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1983; 92: 396-397
- Bilateral pneumothoraces after resuscitation with esophageal airway (letter).JAMA. 1980; 243: 2154-2155
- Bilateral pneumothoraces secondary to colonic endoscopy.J Natl Med Assoc. 1979; 71: 701-702
- Bilateral pneumothorax from suction applied to a ventilator exhaust valve.Anesth Analg. 1979; 58: 147-149
- Complications of percutaneous central venous catheterization: A report of two cases and review of the literature.Johns Hopkins Med J. 1979; 145: 1-6
- Surgical sequelae of drug abuse.Surg Gyn and OB. 1974; 139: 749-755
Accepted: March 7, 1985
Received: December 24, 1984
© 1985 Published by Elsevier Inc.