This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Presented is the case of a 36-year-old man using central venous sites for injection of street drugs. X-ray study revealed numerous retained subcutaneous needles as well as a needle that had embolized to the lung periphery. This represents, to the best of our knowledge, a previously unreported complication of central venous injection of street drugs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pneumothorax in drug abusers: a complication of internal jugular venous injections.Ann Emerg Med. 1983; 12: 167-170
- Complications of attempted central venous injections performed by drug abusers.Chest. 1980; 78: 613-617
- Mycotic aneurysm of the right subclavian artery: A complication of heroin addiction.Chest. 1978; 74: 116-117
- Surgical sequelae of drug abuse.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1974; 139: 749-755
- Major complications of percutaneous subclavian vein catheters.Am J Surg. 1979; 138: 869-874
- Passage of a hollow needle into the venous blood stream into the heart, through the cardiac wall, and into the thorax.Am Heart J. 1941; 22: 835-838
- Needle embolus: A unique complication of intravenous drug abuse.Ann Emerg Med. 1984; 14: 906-908
- Intravenous catheter emboli, experience with twenty cases and collective review.Am J Surg. 1974; 128: 722-727
- Accidental passage of a polyethylene catheter from cubital vein to right atrium.N Engl J Med. 1954; 251: 744-745
- Transvascular removal of catheter fragments from the great vessels and heart.Can Med Assoc J. 1977; 17: 1300-1304
- Fracture of a temporary pacemaker electrode catheter.South Med J. 1978; 71: 1573-1575
- The Caval Catheter.in: Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York1978: 53-60
- Catheter embolization due to faulty bonding of a catheter shaft to hub.Anesthesia. 1978; 49: 285-286
- Catheter tip embolism—a continuing iatrogenic complication of central venous catheterization.Intern Care Med. 1983; 9: 127-129
- Pulmonary embolism from gunshot missles.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1984; 156: 615-619
- Evaluation of current techniques for nonsurgical removal of intravascular iatrogenic foreign bodies.Am J Roent. 1978; 130: 541-548
Accepted: April 29, 1986
Received: January 28, 1986
© 1986 Published by Elsevier Inc.