This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We present an unusual case of the FitzHugh-Curtis syndrome as manifested in a young woman with right upper quadrant pain. The presentation was atypical and misleading because of the presence of a colonic ileus and the lack of salpingitis by pelvic exam. Diagnosis was made by exclusion of other abdominal disease processes, the detection of Chlamydia trachomatis antibody from a cervical specimen, and a dramatic response to appropriate antibiotic therapy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome.Am Fam Prac. 1987; 36: 162-164
- A cause of adhesions in the right upper quadrant.JAMA. 1930; 94: 1221-1222
- Acute gonococcic peritonitis of the right upper quadrant in women.JAMA. 1934; 102: 2094-2096
- Pelvic infections.in: Danforth D.N. Scott J.R. Obstetrics and gynecology. 5th ed. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1986: 990
- Chlamydia trachomatis as possible cause of peritonitis and perihepatitis in young women.Br Med J. 1978; 1: 1022-1024
- Association of infection with Chlamydia trachomatis with Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome.J Infect Dis. 1981; 144: 176
- Chlamydia trachomatis infection in Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 138: 1034-1038
- Isolation of Chlamydia trachomatis from the liver capsule in Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1982; 306: 113
- Chlamydial Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome.Lancet. 1986; 1: 1216
- Perihepatitis and chlamydial salpingitis.Lancet. 1980; 1: 901-903
- Biliary-type pain as a manifestation of genital tract infection: the Curtis-Fitz-Hugh syndrome.Br J Surg. 1982; 69: 251-253
- Perisplenitis and perinephritis in the CurtisFitz-Hugh syndrome.Br J Surg. 1987; 74: 110-112
- Diffuse peritonitis and chronic ascites due to infection with Chlamydia trachomatis in patients without liver disease: new presentation of the Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome.Br Med J. 1986; 293: 5-6
- Chlamydial infections.Annual Rev of Med. 1988; 39: 357-370
- Chlamydia trachomatis perihepatitis with ascites.Am J Gastroenterol. 1988; 83: 323-325
Accepted: June 2, 1989
Received in revised form: May 16, 1989
Received: March 13, 1989
© 1990 Published by Elsevier Inc.