This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A case of intraoral trauma leading to thrombosis of the internal carotid artery in a child is reported. Presentation, evaluation, and treatment of this entity are reviewed. Sequelae of this injury include delayed neurological deficits and death.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Posttraumatic thrombosis of the internal carotid artery.Am J Surg. 1936; 32: 522-523
- Thrombosis of internal carotid artery in childhood after injuries in region of soft palate.Br Med J. 1956; 1: 665-666
- Thrombosis of internal carotid artery after soft palate injury.Br Med J. 1957; 2: 750-751
- Aetiology of acute hemiplegia in childhood.Br Med J. 1964; 2: 82-87
- Carotid thrombosis due to intraoral trauma: an unusual complication of a common childhood accident.N Engl J Med. 1966; 274: 764-767
- Post traumatic changes in the internal carotid artery and its branches: an arteriographic study.Radiology. 1967; 89: 95-100
- Thrombosis of the internal carotid artery due to intra-oral trauma.South Med J. 1969; 62: 103-107
- Penetrating injuries of the parapharyngeal space.Arch Otolaryngol. 1972; 96: 256-259
- Carotid injury due to intraoral trauma: case report and review of the literature.Neurosurgery. 1980; 6: 559-563
- Internal carotid artery thrombosis following soft palate injuries: a case report and review of 16 cases.Laryngoscope. 1984; 94: 1571-1575
- Childhood stroke following intraoral trauma.J Pediatrics. 1987; 110: 574-575
- Pen injury: a rare complication.Pediatr Neurol. 1987; 3: 44-47
- Thrombosis of the internal carotid artery due to soft palate injury.J Laryngol Otol. 1989; 103: 796-797
- Internal carotid artery thrombosis following penetrating trauma of the soft palate: an injury of youth.J Fam Pract. 1991; 32: 316-322
- Stroke following oral trauma in children.Ann Emerg Med. 1991; 20: 1029-1031
- Magnetic resonance angiography.in: Stark DD Bradley WG Magnetic resonance imaging. 2nd ed. Mosby-Year Book, St. Louis1992: 299-318
Accepted: January 5, 1996
Received in revised form: December 11, 1995
Received: August 25, 1995
☆Clinical Communications (Pediatric) is coordinated by Roger Barkin, md, of HealthONE, Denver, Colorado, and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado.
© 1996 Published by Elsevier Inc.