Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Frequent overcrowding in U.S. Emergency Departments.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 151-155
Emergency Department Overcrowding in Massachusetts. Making Room in our Hospitals. Issue Brief. The Massachusetts Health Policy Forum, No 12; 2001.
American Hospital Association Hospital Statistics. Chicago, 1999. Available at: www.healthforum.com.
- Trends in hospital emergency department utilization. United States 1992–99.Vital Health Stat. 2001; 13: 1-34
National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey. 2002 Emergency Department Summary. Advance Data Number 340.35pp.(PHS) 2004-1250.
- The Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, as established under the Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act (Cobra) of 1985. C42USC 1395 dd.Federal Register. 1994; 59: 32086-32127
- The endangered safety net.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 1013-1015
- The costs of visits to emergency department.N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 642-646
- Annual expenses and sources of payments for health care services (AHCPR Pub No 93-0007). National Medical Expenditure Survey Research Finding 14. Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, Rockville, MD1998
- National Study of Hospital Emergency Departments Based Upon General Accounting Office (GAO) Survey of 689 US Hospitals. 1992
Tye L. Officials offer little hope for emergency room diversion. Boston Globe. November 19, 2000. Metro/Region section. A12.
- Lewin M.E. Altman S. America’s health care safety net, intact but endangered. Institute of Medicine, National Academy Press, Washington, DC2000
- Report to the ranking minority member committee on finance, US Senate. Hospital emergency departments. crowded conditions vary among hospitals and communities. 2003 (March)
- Development and validation of new index to measure emergency department crowding.Acad Emerg Med. 2003; 10: 938-942
- Emergency department crowding as a health policy issue.Ann Emerg Med. 2002; 40: 388-393
- Emergency department crowding and thrombolysis delays in acute myocardial infarction.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 44: 577-585
- Emergency Department overcrowding and ambulance transport delays, for patients with chest pain.Can Med Assoc J. 2003; 168: 277-283
- A conceptual model of emergency department crowding.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42: 173-180
- Emergency department crowding.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42: 824-834
- Emergency department contributors to ambulance diversion. A quantitative analysis.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 41: 467-476
- The probability of ambulance diversion as a function of inpatient occupancy.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 44: S29
Litvak E, McManus ML, Cooper A. Root cause analysis of emergency department crowding and ambulance diversion in Massachusetts. Report submitted by Boston University Program for the Management of Variability in Health Care Delivery under a grant from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- The effect of hospital occupancy on emergency department length of stay and patient disposition.Acad Emerg Med. 2003; 10: 127-133
- Rochester, New York.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 1044-1050
- Effect of emergency department managed acute care unit on ED overcrowding and emergency medical services diversion.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 1095-1100
- Effect of increased ICU capacity on length of stay in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 44: S8
- Intervention to decrease emergency department overcrowding.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 41: 173-185
- Variability in surgical caseload and access to intensive care services.Anesthesiology. 2003; 98: 1491-1496
- Effect of the elective surgical schedule on daily emergency department throughput time.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 44: S29
Administration of Emergency Medicine is coordinated by Eugene Kercher, md, of Kern Medical Center, Bakersfield, California and Richard F. Salluzzo, md, of Conemaugh Meridian Health Group, Johnstown, Pennsylvania