To analyze the characteristics of aortic dissection in the elderly, we reviewed 168 cases from January 1999 to September 2005 in a medical center in Taiwan. Fifty-six cases were suitable for enrollment in our study. Of these, 44 (79%) were male and 12 (21%) were female; ages ranged from 29 to 92 years, with a mean of 61 ± 11.75 years. We defined elderly as age ≥ 65 years. There was no obvious discrepancy between age and types of aortic dissections involved (p = 0.726). The elderly had the lower mean systolic blood pressure (166.4 mm Hg) upon arrival at the Emergency Department (p = 0.002). Presentation to the Emergency Department with chest pain or chest tightness was more commonly seen in the elderly (66.7%) (p = 0.042). The mean hospital stay was 12.6 ± 0.5 days, and it was longer in the elderly group (12.96 days) (p = 0.009). Otherwise, the mortality rate was 6.7% ± 3.6%. We found a lower mortality rate in the elderly than in the younger group (4% vs. 9%, respectively; p = 0.008).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dissecting aneurysms of the aorta.Surg Clin North Am. 1966; 46: 1045-1055
- Analysis of misdiagnosis in 33 cases of aortic dissection [Chinese].Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao. 2005; 25: 1172-1174
- Late outcome of patients with aortic dissection: study of a national database.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2004; 25: 683-690
- Acute aortic dissection presenting with primarily abdominal pain: a rare manifestation of a deadly disease.Ann Vasc Surg. 2005; 19: 367-373
- Acute type B aortic dissection in elderly patients: clinical features, outcomes, and simple risk stratification rule.Ann Thorac Surg. 2004; 77: 1622-1628
- Aortic dissection.J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2005; 7: 367-371
- The clinical analysis of with 106 cases aortic dissection [Chinese].Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi. 2005; 33: 536-538
- Sudden incapacity of walking [German].Ther Umsch. 2004; 61: 732-738
- Paraparesis as the major initial presentation of aortic dissection: report of four cases.Acta Neurol Taiwan. 2004; 13: 192-197
- Clinical, diagnostic, and management perspectives of aortic dissection.Chest. 2002; 122: 311-328
- Determinants of in-hospital mortality after surgery for acute type A aortic dissection.J Formos Med Assoc. 2004; 103: 428-431
Published online: September 18, 2007
Accepted: January 22, 2007
Received in revised form: October 4, 2006
Received: April 3, 2005
© 2008 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.