A 40-year-old woman presented via ambulance to our Emergency Department (ED) for decreased level of consciousness. The patient's husband reported declining cognitive ability over the prior 3 months, and a hospital visit for left leg weakness 5 months earlier. In the ED, the patient exhibited recurrent opisthotonus episodes. Old records obtained from another hospital were positive for reactive rapid plasma reagin test and florescent treponemal antibody absorption test (FTA-ABS). The patient's husband confirmed exposure to syphilis 15 years earlier. Subsequently, during hospitalization, the patient had a positive cerebrospinal fluid venereal disease research laboratory test and FTA-ABS, visible changes on a brain magnetic resonance imaging study, and was diagnosed with neurosyphilis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dandy-Walker syndrome presenting as opisthotonus: proposed pathophysiology.Pediatr Neurol. 1996; 14: 165-168
- Opisthotonus and thiopental.Anesth Analg. 1995; 81: 1309-1310
- Postoperative opisthotonus and torticollis after fentanyl, enflurane, and nitrous oxide.Can J Anaesth. 1991; 38: 919-925
- Opisthotonus and propofol.Anaesthesia. 1992; 47: 442
- A case of double-compartment hydrocephalus presenting with opisthotonus.Surg Neurol. 1992; 38: 291-293
- Severe opisthotonus and trismus associated with water intoxication.J R Soc Med. 1984; 77: 158
- Acute caffeine overdose in the neonate.Am J Dis Child. 1980; 134: 495-498
- Neonatal tetanus: incidence and improved outcome with diazepam.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1992; 34: 448-453
- Unusual case report: three cases of psychiatric manifestations of neurosyphilis.Psychiatr Serv. 2004; 55: 830-832
- Diagnosis and management of syphilis.Am Fam Physician. 2003; 68: 283-290
- Neurosyphilis and status epilepticus: case report and literature review.Epilepsy Res. 2004; 59: 67-70
Published online: June 12, 2008
Accepted: May 22, 2007
Received in revised form: March 2, 2007
Received: May 6, 2005
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.