I enjoyed the extensive review by Dr. Robert Frank on post-dural puncture headaches (PDPH) (
1). There are a few additional points I feel are worth mentioning about both the lumbar puncture itself, and the pharmacologic options available to treat PDPH.
- Frank R.L.
Lumbar puncture and post-dural puncture headaches: implications for the emergency physician.
J Emerg Med. 2008; 35: 149-157
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lumbar puncture and post-dural puncture headaches: implications for the emergency physician.J Emerg Med. 2008; 35: 149-157
Collier BB. Treatment for postdural puncture headache. Br J Anaesth 994;72:366–7.
- ACTH treatment for post-lumbar puncture headaches.Br J Anaesth. 1994; 73: 429
- Use of intravenous cosyntropin for the treatment of postdural puncture headaches.Anesthesia. 2000; 92: 272-274
- Use of intravenous tetracosactin in the treatment of postdural puncture headache: our experience in forty cases.Anesth Analg. 2002; 94: 1369
- Cosyntropin vs. caffeine for post-dural puncture headaches.Acad Emerg Med. 2005; 12: 52-53
- Epidural fibrin glue injection stops persistent postdural puncture headache.Anesthesiology. 1999; 92: 576-577
- In vitro investigation of cerebrospinal fluid leakage after dual puncture with various spinal needles.Anesth Analg. 1998; 87: 1331-1335
- Epidural blood patch: evaluation of the volume and spread of blood injected into the epidural space.Anesthesiology. 1986; 64: 820-822
Published online: March 09, 2009
Published by Elsevier Inc.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Lumbar Puncture and Post-Dural Puncture Headaches: Implications for the Emergency PhysicianJournal of Emergency MedicineVol. 35Issue 2
- PreviewLumbar puncture is a diagnostic procedure commonly performed by emergency physicians. Post-dural puncture headaches occur frequently after this procedure and can be associated with significant morbidity and, occasionally, even death. There is also a lot of variation in how post-dural puncture headaches are treated once they occur. This article seeks to examine the science behind post-dural puncture headaches, their prevention and treatment.