A 62-year-old man presented in the early morning to the Emergency Department complaining of acute-onset epigastric and right upper quadrant pain after dinner the night prior. He described the pain as cramping in nature and intermittent, lasting for minutes at a time and spontaneously resolving. He denied any nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, chills, melena, or hematochezia. He had not had any pain similar to this in the past, and while being interviewed he could feel the pain coming on in a wave-like fashion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intussusception in the adult-a rare disease.J Emerg Med. 1991; 9: 337-342
- Intussusception of the bowel in adults: a review.World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15: 407-411
- Giant lipoma causing a colo-colonic intussusception.Am Surg. 2006; 72: 83-84
- A case of a lipoma in the colon complicated by intussusception.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002; 14: 701-702
- Giant colonic lipoma as lead point for intermittent colo-colonic intussusception.Surgery. 2002; 13l: 687-688
- The dramatic presentation of colonic lipomata: report of two cases and review of the literature.Am Surg. 2001; 67: 491
- Giant submucosal sigmoid colon lipoma.Am J Surg. 2003; 186: 81-82
- Adult intussusception: diagnosis and clinical relevance.Radiol Clin North Am. 2003; 41: 1137-1151
- MDCT and 3D imaging in transient entero-enteric intussusception: clinical observations and review of the literature.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 191: 736-742
- Sonographic diagnosis of intussusceptions in adults.Abdom Imaging. 2000; 25: 45-47
- Color Doppler ultrasonography in pediatric intussusception.J Ultrasound Med. 1994; 13: 171-174
- Value of sonography including color Doppler in the diagnosis and management of long standing intussusception.Pediatr Radiol. 1992; 22: 112-114
Published online: September 22, 2009
Accepted: July 23, 2009
Received in revised form: May 8, 2009
Received: March 25, 2009
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.