Background: Button batteries within the gastrointestinal system are dangerous and must be suspected after any foreign body ingestion. Common complications include esophageal perforation, fistula formation, and esophageal scarring. Objectives: Spondylodiscitis resulting from button battery ingestion is extremely rare and, to our knowledge, has been described in the literature only once to date. Case Report: We will describe a case in which a 14-month-old girl developed spondylodiscitis of T1/T2 after an uncomplicated clinical course involving the ingestion and removal of an esophageal button battery. Discussion will include mechanisms in which button batteries cause harm and notable differences between the previously reported case and ours. Conclusions: We present this case to increase awareness of spondylodiscitis in patients with neck pain or stiffness and a history of button battery ingestion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Foreign bodies.in: Marx J.A. Rosen's emergency medicine: concepts and clinical practice. 6th edn. Mosby, Philadelphia2006: 859-881
- Foreign body ingestion in children.Am Fam Physician. 2005; 72: 287-291
- Severe esophageal damage due to button battery ingestion: can it be prevented?.Pediatr Surg Int. 2004; 20: 496-501
- Button battery ingestion: hazards of esophageal impaction.J Pediatr Surg. 1999; 34: 1527-1531
- Button batteries in the ear, nose and upper aerodigestive tract.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2004; 68: 473-479
- Systemic absorption of lithium following ingestion of a lithium button battery.Hum Exp Toxicol. 2004; 23: 193-195
- An unusual case of button battery-induced traumatic tracheoesophageal fistula.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2008; 24: 313-316
- Tracheoesophageal fistula secondary to ingestion of a button battery.Rev Chil Pediatr. 1991; 62: 378-381
- Severe injuries from coin cell battery ingestions: 2 case reports.J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44: 644-647
- Cervical spondylodiscitis after removal of a fishbone: a case report.Spine. 1999; 24: 574-577
- Cervical spondylodiscitis from an ingested pin: a case report.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 593-596
- Spondylodiscitis and mediastinitis after esophageal perforation owing to a swallowed radiolucent foreign body.J Pediatr Surg. 1996; 31: 698-700
- Spondylodiscitis complicated by the ingestion of a button battery: a case report.Korean J Radiol. 2008; 9: 555-558
- Spondylodiscitis in childhood: results of a long-term study.Spine. 2005; 30: 318-323
- Discitis and vertebral osteomyelitis in children: an 18-year review.Pediatrics. 2000; 105: 1299-1304
Published online: April 20, 2010
Accepted: February 18, 2010
Received in revised form: November 15, 2009
Received: July 14, 2009
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.