In 2004, we examined the number of endowed faculty positions (both chair and professorship) in Academic Departments of Emergency Medicine (ADEMs) in the United States (US).
To survey ADEMs in the United States concerning their number of endowed faculty positions and compare the results to the 2004 study.
A survey was sent to the chairs of all ADEMs in the United States belonging to the Association of Academic Chairs of Emergency Medicine. We requested information on: number of endowed chair and professorship positions, amount required to fund, date established, source of funding, and future plans.
Seventy-three chairs responded, for a 100% response rate. Eight chairs reported one endowed chair position each. One chair reported two such positions and one chair reported three chair positions. In total, 10 ADEMs (13.7%) reported 13 endowed chair positions. For endowed professorships, eight chairs reported one professorship each and two chairs reported two such positions. A total of 10 ADEMs (13.7%) reported having 12 endowed professorships. In all, 19 ADEMs (26%) reported a total of 25 such positions. The typical amount allowed to spend was 4–5% of the value of the endowment annually. The average amount necessary to fund an endowed chair position was $1.5 million, and $1 million for an endowed professorship.
Twenty-six percent of all US ADEMs now have an endowed faculty position. There has been a nearly threefold increase in the number of endowed faculty positions over the past 5 years.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Endowed faculty positions in academic emergency medicine: where we are and where we need to go.J Emerg Med. 2006; 30: 107-110
- Understanding college and university endowments.American Council on Education, Washington, DC2000
- Endowed chairs named for surgeons.J Am Coll Surg. 2000; 191: 538-545
- Philanthropic endowments in general internal medicine.J Gen Intern Med. 1999; 14: 255-257
- Endowed professorships in radiation oncology.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 40: 751-753
Published online: July 23, 2010
Accepted: May 18, 2010
Received in revised form: March 29, 2010
Received: January 13, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.