Bilateral mastoiditis in adults has previously been reported only in association with diabetes mellitus or immunocompromised patients.
To describe a case of bilateral mastoiditis in a healthy adult and to investigate the etiology.
A 53-year-old woman presented to the Emergency Department with bilateral otitis externa and mastoiditis after scuba diving during a harmful algal bloom, commonly known as a “red tide.” The levels of coliform bacteria recorded at the time and location of her dive exceeded health regulatory limits and correlate with her atypical culture results.
Elevated bacterial counts that result from harmful algal blooms may account for this rare infection.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical strategies for the management of acute mastoiditis in the pediatric population.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010; 49: 110-115
- Fatal course of Wegener’s granulomatosis with bilateral otomastoiditis and bilateral facial nerve palsy.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008; 138: 799-800
- Hemifacial spasm: case report.East Afr Med J. 2006; 83: 401-404
- Hypertrophic chronic pachymeningitis associated with chronic otitis media and mastoiditis.Auris Nasus Larynx. 2004; 31: 155-159
- Pneumocystis carinii infection in bilateral aural polyps in a human immunodeficiency virus-positive patient.J Laryngol Otol. 2002; 116: 288-290
- Growth of Vibrio cholerae O1 in red tide waters off California.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003; 69: 6923-6931
- Ear problems in swimmers.J Chin Med Assoc. 2005; 68: 347-352
- Acute mastoiditis in a Norwegian population: a 20 year retrospective study.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2002; 62: 237-242
- Mastoiditis in a paediatric population: a review of 11 years experience in management.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009; 73: 1520-1524
- Linking the oceans to public health: current efforts and future directions.Environ Health. 2008; 7: S6
- Exposure assessment and risk of gastrointestinal illness among surfers.J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2008; 71: 1603-1615
- Skin-related symptoms following exposure to recreational water: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Water Qual Expo Health. 2009; 1: 79-103
- Web-based investigation of water associated illness in marine bathers.Environ Res. 2008; 106: 101-109
- Supporting information and ancillary data for the manuscript “Bilateral mastoiditis from red tide exposure”.(Available at:)Accessed February 12, 2010)
Published online: August 30, 2010
Accepted: June 12, 2010
Received in revised form: April 27, 2010
Received: February 19, 2009
Environmental data and analysis were supported by funding to RMK through National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) MERHAB award NA04NOS4780239, and by the Central and Northern California Ocean Observing System through NOAA award NA08NOS4730382.
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.