Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Communication teaching and assessment in medical education: an international consensus statement. Netherlands Institute of Primary Health Care.Patient Educ Counsel. 1999; 37: 191-195
- Effective physician-patient communication and health outcomes: a review.CMAJ. 1995; 152: 1423-1433
- Physician-patient communication. The relationship with malpractice claims among primary care physicians and surgeons.JAMA. 1997; 277: 553-559
National Patient Safety Goals. 2007. Available at: http://www.jcrinc.com/13469/. Accessed July 29, 2010.
American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Maintenance of certification: competencies and criteria. 2010. Available at: http://www.abms.org/Maintenance_of_Certification/MOC_competencies.aspx. Accessed July 29, 2010.
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Outcome project: enhancing resident education through outcomes assessment. 1999. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/outcome/comp/compmin.asp. Accessed July 29, 2010.
- Communication in emergency medicine: implications for patient safety.Commun Monogr. 2005; 72: 390-413
- Emergency department communication links and patterns.Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 50: 396-406
- Communication patterns in a UK emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 50: 407-413
- Resuscitating the physician-patient relationship: emergency department communication in an academic medical center.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 44: 262-267
- “Sign right here and you're good to go”: a content analysis of audiotaped emergency department discharge instructions.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 57 (315–22.e1)
- Measuring patient views of physician communication skills: development and testing of the Communication Assessment Tool.Patient Educ Couns. 2007; 67: 333-342
- Assessing patient perceptions of hospitalist communication skills using the Communication Assessment Tool (CAT).J Hosp Med. 2010; 5: 522-527
- Using the communication assessment tool in family medicine residency programs.Fam Med. 2010; 42: 567-573
- The impact of judge selection on standard setting for a patient survey of physician communication skills.Acad Med. 2008; 83: S17-S20
- Patient perspectives on communication with the medical team: Pilot study using the communication assessment tool-team (CAT-T).Patient Educ Couns. 2008; 73: 220-223
- Are physicians' attitudes of respect accurately perceived by patients and associated with more positive communication behaviors?.Patient Educ Couns. 2006; 62: 347-354
- The disconfirmation paradigm: throughput times and emergency department patient satisfaction.J Emerg Med. 2007; 32: 7-13
- Toward a theory of patient satisfaction.Soc Sci Med. 1982; 16: 577-582
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. HCAHPS Survey. 2011. Available at: http://www.hcahpsonline.org. Accessed August 3, 2011.
- Do patient autonomy preferences matter? Linking patient-centered care to patient-physician relationships and health outcomes.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 71: 1811-1818
- Measuring patients' perceptions of communication with healthcare providers: do differences in demographic and socioeconomic characteristics matter?.Health Expect. 2009; 12: 70-80
- Factors associated with patients' perceptions of health care providers' communication behavior.J Health Commun. 2006; 11: 135-146
- Validating the primary provider theory in emergency medicine.Leadersh Health Serv. 2008; 21: 120-130
- Effects of actual waiting time, perceived waiting time, information delivery, and expressive quality on patient satisfaction in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 1996; 28: 657-665
- Patient satisfaction as a function of emergency department previsit expectations.Ann Emerg Med. 2009; 54 (360–7.e6)
- Analysis of factors affecting satisfaction in the emergency department: a survey of 1019 patients.Adv Ther. 2004; 21: 380-388
This work was previously presented at the Academy Health Annual Research Meeting, Seattle, WA, June 2011, and at the International Conference on Communication in Healthcare, Chicago, IL, October 2011.