Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
- The inherited diseases of hemoglobin are an emerging global health burden.Blood. 2010; 115: 4331-4336
- Disease and conditions index. Sickle cell anemia: who is at risk?.US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD2009 (Available at:)Accessed January 10, 2013)
- Sickle cell disease-related pediatric medical expenditures in the US.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: S550-S556
- Emergency department visits made by patients with sickle cell disease: a descriptive study, 1999−2007.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: S536-S541
- Health supervision for children with sickle cell disease.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: 526
- Bacterial blood cultures in children with sickle cell disease.Am J Emerg Med. 2010; 28: 511-514
- Multidrug-resistant streptococcus pneumoniae infections: current and future therapeutic options.Drugs. 2007; 67: 2355-2382
- Trends in pediatric sickle cell disease-related mortality in the United States, 1983-2002.J Pediatr. 2009; 154: 541-545
- Incidence of invasive pneumococcal disease among individuals with sickle cell disease before and after the introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 1428-1433
- Invasive pneumococcal infections in children with sickle cell disease in the era of penicillin prophylaxis, antibiotic resistance, and 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination.J Pediatr. 2003; 143: 438-444
- A randomized study of outpatient treatment with ceftriaxone for selected febrile children with sickle cell disease.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 472-476
- Investigators of the Cooperative Study of Sickle Cell Disease. Causes of death in sickle cell disease: an autopsy study.Br J Haematol. 2003; 123: 359-365
- Susceptibility to invasive bacterial infections in children with sickle cell disease.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010; 55: 401-406
- Quality-of-care indicators for children with sickle cell disease.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: 484-493
- Positive blood cultures in sickle cell disease: time to positivity and clinical outcome.J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2003; 25: 390-395
- Predictors of bacteremia in febrile children with sickle cell disease.J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2002; 24: 279-283
- Bacteremia in children with sickle hemoglobinopathies.J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2012; 34: 13-16
- Prophylaxis with oral penicillin in children with sickle cell anemia. A randomized trial.N Engl J Med. 1986; 314: 1593-1599
- Bacteremia risk and outpatient management of febrile patients with sickle cell disease.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 1035-1041
- Increase in invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in children with sickle cell disease since pneumococcal conjugate vaccine licensure.J Pediatr. 2011; 158 (Erratum in: J Pediatr 2011;158:867): 505-507
- Pneumococcal bacteremia in a vaccinated pediatric sickle cell disease population.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012; 31: 534-536
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in children with sickle cell disease.Pediatrics. 1997; 99: E7
- Penicillin- and cephalosporin-resistant strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing sepsis and meningitis in children with sickle cell disease.J Pediatr. 1995; 127: 526-532
- Cephalosporin-resistant pneumococci and sickle cell disease.Emerg Infect Dis. 2005; 11: 1192-1196
- A single intramuscular dose of ceftriaxone changes nasopharyngeal bacterial flora in children with acute otitis media.Acta Paediatr. 2000; 89: 1316-1321
At the time of the initial data collection, Dr. Shihabuddin was a fellow in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center/Children's Hospital of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey and Dr. Scarfi was his mentor.
Institutional Review Board approval was obtained at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, The Children's Hospital of New Jersey.