Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
- CDC grand rounds: prescription drug overdoses—a US epidemic.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 10-13
US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration. Automation of Reports and Consolidated Orders System (ARCOS). Available at: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/arcos/index.html. Accessed June 20, 2014.
- Increase in fatal poisonings involving opioid analgesics in the United States.1999-2006. NCHS Data Brief. 2009; : 1-8
Jones CM. Prescription drug abuse and overdose in United States, presented at Third Party Payer and PDMP Meeting, December 2012. Available at http://www.pdmpexcellence.org/sites/all/pdfs/Jones.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2014.
Overdose deaths. Brandeis University PDMP Center of Excellence. Available at http://www.pdmpexcellence.org/content/overdose-deaths. Accessed June 20, 2014.
- Pain in the emergency department: results of the pain and emergency medicine initiative (PEMI) multicenter study.J Pain. 2007; 8: 460-466
- Characteristics of opioid prescriptions in 2009.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1299-1301
- Centering the pendulum: the evolution of emergency medicine opioid prescribing guidelines.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 62: 241-243
- Can prescription drug monitoring programs help limit opioid abuse?.JAMA. 2011; 306: 2258-2259
- Medication reconciliation for controlled substances—an “ideal” prescription-drug monitoring program.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2341-2343
- Clinician impression versus prescription drug monitoring program criteria in the assessment of drug-seeking behavior in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 62: 281-289
- Being judge and jury: a new skill for emergency physicians.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 62: 290-292
- Doctor and pharmacy shopping for controlled substances.Med Care. 2012; 50: 494-500
- Quantifying drug-seeking behavior: a case control study.J Emerg Med. 2012; 42: 15-21
- Approximate inference in generalized linear mixed models.J Am Stat Assoc. 1993; 88: 9-25
- Chronic back pain with possible prescription opioid misuse.JAMA. 2013; 309: 919-925
- Pain and aberrant drug-related behaviors in medically ill patients with and without histories of substance abuse.Clin J Pain. 2006; 22: 173-181
- The need to identify predictors of aberrant drug-related behavior and addiction in patients being treated with opioids for pain.Pain Med. 2003; 4: 186-189
- On the meaning of “drug seeking.”.Pain Manag Nurs. 2005; 6: 122-136
- Substance abuse.in: McCaffery M. Pasero C. Pain: clinical manual. 2nd edn. Mosby, St. Louis, MO1999: 428-466
- Usefulness of prescription monitoring programs for surveillance—analysis of Schedule II opioid prescription data in Massachusetts, 1996−2006.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2010; 19: 115-123
- Impact of a prescription monitoring program on doctor-shopping for high dosage buprenorphine.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009; 18: 36-43
- A statewide prescription monitoring program affects emergency department prescribing behaviors.Ann Emerg Med. 2010; 56: 19-23
- An analysis of the number of multiple prescribers for opioids utilizing data from the California Prescription Monitoring Program.Wilsey Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011; 20: 1262-1268
- Estimating the prevalence of opioid diversion by “doctor shoppers” in the United States.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e69241
- A history of being prescribed controlled substances and risk of drug overdose death.Pain Med. 2012; 13: 87-95
- How frequently are “classic” drug-seeking behaviors used by drug-seeking patients in the emergency department?.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 416-421
- Predicting aberrant behaviors in opioid-treated patients: preliminary validation of the Opioid Risk Tool.Pain Med. 2005; 6: 432-442
- Validation of the revised Screener and Opioid Assessment for Patients with Pain (SOAPP-R).J Pain. 2008; 9: 360-372
- The drug abuse screening test.Addict Behav. 1982; 7: 363-371
- Opioid misuse risk among emergency department patients with cancer.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 62: S125
- Cross-validation of a prescription opioid abuse risk tool and prescription drug monitoring data in the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 2014; 21: S163
The Institutional Review Board approved this protocol.