Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
FDA Guideline ABSSSI 2013. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/.../Guidances/ucm071185.pdf. Accessed October 20, 2014.
- Skin and soft-tissue infections requiring hospitalization at an academic medical center: opportunities for antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2010; 51: 895-903
- Recurrent bacteraemia: a 10-year regional population-based study of clinical and microbiological risk factors.J Infect. 2010; 60: 191-199
- Methicillin-resistant S. aureus infections among patients in the emergency department.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 666-674
- Bacteriology of skin and soft tissue infections: a comparison of infections in intravenous drug users and individuals with no history of drug use.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: S279-S282
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in community-acquired skin infections.Emerg Infect Dis. 2005; 11: 928-930
- Contemporary causes of skin and soft tissue infections in North America, Latin America, and Europe: report from the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program (1998–2004).Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2007; 57: 7-13
- Emergency ID Net Study Group. Comparison of Staphylococcus aureus from skin and soft-tissue infections in US emergency department patients, 2004 and 2008.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 144-149
- Antimicrobial resistance: not community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA)! A clinician’s guide to community MRSA—its evolving antimicrobial resistance and implications for therapy.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: 99-114
- Microbiology of antibiotic resistance in Staphylococcus aureus.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 45: S165-S170
- Comparison of community and healthcare associated methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2976-2984
- Is Panton-Valentine leukocid in the major virulence determinant in community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus disease?.J Infect Dis. 2006; 194: 1761-1770
- Acute bacterial skin infections: developments since the 2005 Infectious Disease Society Of America (IDSA) Guidelines.J Emerg Med. 2013; 44: e397-412
- Waves of resistance: Staphylococcus aureus in the antibiotic era.Nat Rev Microbiol. 2009; 7: 629-641
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strain USA 300: origin and epidemiology.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009; 64: 441-446
- Trends in US hospital admissions for skin and soft tissue infections.Emerg Infect Dis. 2009; 15: 1516-1518
- National trends in ambulatory visits and antibiotic prescribing for skin and soft-tissue infections.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1585-1591
- Increased US emergency department visits for skin and soft tissue infections, and changes in antibiotic choices, during the emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Ann Emerg Med. 2008; 51: 291-298
- Understanding the success of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains causing epidemic disease in the community.J Infect Dis. 2008; 197: 179-182
- Mortality after infection with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) diagnosed in the community.BMC Med. 2008; 6: 1-8
Talan D. SAEM poster. Available at: http://www.ferne.org/Lectures/saem_2008/pdf/2008_Pre_Brochure.pdf. Accessed October 20, 2014.
- Skin and soft tissue infections and associated complications among commercially insured patients aged 0–64 years with and without diabetes in the U.S..PLoS One. 2013; 8: e60057
Elixhauser A, Steiner C. Infections with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in U.S. Hospitals 1993–2005. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs 2007. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK61977/. Accessed October 20, 2014.
- The economic burden of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA).Clin Microbiol Infect. 2013; 19: 528-536
- Treatment failure and costs in patients with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) skin and soft tissue infections: a South Texas Ambulatory Research Network (STARNet) study.J Am Board Fam Med. 2013; 26: 508-517
- New rules for clinical trials of patients with acute bacterial skin and skin-structure infections: do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: S469-S479
- Randomized, double-blind, phase II, multicenter study evaluating the safety/tolerability and efficacy of JNJ-Q2, a novel fluoroquinolone, compared with linezolid for treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011; 55: 5790-5797
- Risk stratification and outcome of cellulitis admitted to hospital.J Infect. 2010; 60: 431-439
- Prediction of failure in vancomycin-treated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infection: a clinically useful risk stratification tool.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011; 55: 4581-4588
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severesepsis and septic shock.Crit Care Med. 2012; 2013: 580-637
- The LRINEC (Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis) score: a tool for distinguishing necrotizing fasciitis from other soft tissue infections.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: 1535-1541
- Necrotizing fasciitis: contribution and limitations of diagnostic imaging.Joint Bone Spine. 2013; 80: 146-154
- Diagnosis of necrotizing fasciitis with bedside ultrasound: the STAFF exam.West J Emerg Med. 2014; 15: 111-113
- Once-weekly dalbavancin versus daily conventional therapy for skin infection.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 2169-2179
- Hospitalist to home: outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy at an academic center.Clin Infect Dis. 2010; 51: S220-S223
- Randomized, double-blind comparison of once-weekly dalbavancin versus twice-daily linezolid therapy for the treatment of complicated skin and skin structure infections.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 41: 1407-1415
- Pharmacodynamics of a simulated single 1,200-milligram dose of oritavancin in an in vitro pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic model of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013; 57: 205-211
- Single-dose oritavancin in the treatment of acute bacterial skin infections.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 2180-2190
Stevens DL, Bisno AL, Chambers HF, et al. Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Available at: http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/06/14/cid.ciu296.full.pdf+html. Accessed October 20, 2014.
Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). Promoting antimicrobial stewardship in human medicine. 2014. Available at: www.idsociety.org/stewardship_policy/#sthash.zeShFUWD.dpuf. Accessed October 20, 2014.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Emergency department throughput measures stratification. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/QualityMeasures/downloads/EH_EDThroughputStratificationTable.pdf. Accessed October 20. 2014.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Inpatient hospital reviews. Updates 5-12-2014. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Monitoring-Programs/Medicare-FFS-Compliance-Programs/Medical-Review/InpatientHospitalReviews.html. Accessed October 20, 2014.
Choosing Wisely: an initiative of the ABIM Foundation. 2014. Available at: www.choosingwisely.org. Accessed October 20, 2014.
Kachatryan A, Petal D, Johnson K, et al. Rising US hospital admissions for Gram+ acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSIs). SHM 2014 Poster #3113. Available at: http://content.stockpr.com/duratatherapeutics/db/Publications/2134/file/3-13c_SHM_HCUP_Poster.pdf. Accessed December 10, 2014.