Dr. Karen Kinnaman: Today's case is that of a 33-year-old man who presented to the Emergency Department (ED) complaining of an intense headache, weakness, and light-headedness.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- How I treat patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: 2010.Blood. 2010; 116: 4060
- The incidence of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: all patients, idiopathic patients, and patients with severe ADAMTS-13 deficiency.J Thromb Haemost. 2005; 3: 1432-1436
- Severe ADAMTS13 deficiency in adult idiopathic thrombotic microangiopathies defines a subset of patients characterized by various autoimmune manifestations, lower platelet count, and mild renal involvement.Medicine (Baltimore). 2004; 83: 233-244
- ADAMTS13 activity in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura–hemolytic uremic syndrome: relation to presenting features and clinical outcomes in a prospective cohort of 142 patients.Blood. 2003; 102: 60-68
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Report of 25 cases and review of the literature.Medicine (Baltimore). 1981; 60: 413-428
- Guidelines on the diagnosis and managementof the thrombotic microangiopathichaemolyticanaemias.Br J Haematol. 2003; 120: 556-573
- Thrombotic microangiopathies.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 589-600
- Shiga-toxin-producing Escherichia coli and haemolyticuraemic syndrome.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1073-1078
- Long-term renal prognosis of diarrheaassociated hemolytic uremic syndrome: a systematic review, meta-analysis, and meta-regression.JAMA. 2003; 290: 1360-1370
- Deficient activity of von Willebrand factor cleaving protease in chronic relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Blood. 1997; 89: 3097-3103
- Comparison of plasma exchange with plasma infusion in the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Canadian Apheresis Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1991; 325: 393-397
- Von Willebrand factor, ADAMTS13, and thrombotic thrombocytopenicpurpura.Blood. 2008; 112: 11-18
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1927-1935
- Clinical outcomes after platelet transfusions in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Transfusion. 2009; 49: 873-887
- The molecular biology of thrombotic microangiopathy.Kidney Int. 2006; 70: 16-23
- Effect of plasma exchange on plasma ADAMTS13 metalloprotease activity, inhibitor level, and clinical outcome in patients with idiopathic and nonidiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Blood. 2004; 103: 4043-4049
- How I treat patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura–hemolytic uremic syndrome.Blood. 2000; 96: 1223-1229
- Thrombotic microangiopathy, hemolytic uremic syndrome, and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Kidney Int. 2001; 60: 831-846
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: report of 16 cases and review of the literature.Medicine (Baltimore). 1966; 45: 139-159
- Rituximab prevents recurrence of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: a case report.Blood. 2005; 106: 925-928
- Improved survival in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome. Clinical experience in 108 patients.N Engl J Med. 1991; 325: 398-403
- Successful treatment of severe thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with the monoclonal antibody rituximab.Am J Hematol. 2002; 71: 105-108
Published online: February 04, 2015
Reprints are not available.
© 2015 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.