Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Prescription drug overdose. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/index.html. Accessed November 28, 2015.
- JCAHO pain management standards are unveiled. Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.JAMA. 2000; 284: 428-429
- Alleviating suffering 101—pain relief in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 197-199
Institute of Medicine website. Relieving pain in America: a blueprint for transforming prevention, care, education, and research. Available at: http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2011/Relieving-Pain-in-America-A-Blueprint-for-Transforming-Prevention-Care-Education-Research.aspx. Accessed November 28, 2015.
- Trends in opioid prescribing by race/ethnicity for patients seeking care in US emergency departments.JAMA. 2008; 299: 70-78
U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration website. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The TEDS report: substance abuse treatment admissions involving abuse of pain relievers: 1998 and 2008. Available at: http://www.dea.gov/divisions/dal/2010/dallas071610.pdf. Accessed November 28, 2015.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey 2011. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/emergency-department.htm. Accessed November 28, 2015.
- The high prevalence of pain in emergency medical care.Am J Emerg Med. 2002; 20: 165-169
- Inadequate analgesia in emergency medicine.Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43: 494-503
- Ethnicity as a risk factor for inadequate emergency department analgesia.JAMA. 1993; 269: 1537-1539
- The effect of ethnicity on physician estimates of pain severity in patients with isolated extremity trauma.JAMA. 1994; 271: 925-928
- Older US emergency department patients are less likely to receive pain medication than younger patients: results from a national survey.Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 60: 199-206
U.S. Food and Drug Administration website. Outpatient prescription opioid utilization in the U.S., years 2000-2009. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/Drugs/AnestheticAndLifeSupportDrugsAdvisoryCommittee/UCM220950.pdf. Accessed November 28, 2015.
- Opioid prescribing in a cross section of US emergency departments.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 66: 253-259.e1
- Association of emergency department opioid initiation with recurrent opioid use.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 65: 493-499.e4
- Improving opioid prescribing: The New York City recommendations.JAMA. 2013; 309: 879-880
- The development of the Washington State emergency department opioid prescribing guidelines.J Med Toxicol Off J Am Coll Med Toxicol. 2012; 8: 353-359
- Pain education in North American medical schools.J Pain. 2011; 12: 1199-1208
- Lessons of pain: a symptom stretched across all specialties.New Physician. 2006; 55: 11-13
- Preparation, confidence, and attitudes about chronic noncancer pain in graduate medical education.J Grad Med Educ. 2010; 2: 260-268
- Primary care provider concerns about management of chronic pain in community clinic populations.J Gen Intern Med. 2006; 21: 652-655
American College of Emergency Physicians website. 2013 Model of the Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. Available at: http://www.acep.org/Clinical-Practice-Management/Model-of-the-Clinical-Practice-of-Emergency-Medicine. Accessed November 28, 2015.
European Society for Emergency Medicine website. European curriculum for emergency medicine. Available at: http://www.eusem.org/curriculumofem. Accessed November 28, 2015.
International Association for the Study of Pain website. International Association for the Study of Pain has released a comprehensive pain curriculum. Available at: www.iasp-pain.org/Education/CurriculumDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=729. Accessed November 28, 2015.
- Brief intervention for patients with problematic drug use presenting in emergency departments: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1736-1745
- Recommendations for a new curriculum in pain medicine for medical students: toward a career distinguished by competence and compassion.Pain Med. 2013; 14: 345-350
- Acute pain management curriculum for emergency medicine residency programs.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: S87-S91
Painless ER website. Available at: www.painfree-ed.com. Accessed November 28, 2015.
- Board 241-program innovations abstract a simulation based finale for a pain management clerkship rotation (submission #111).Simul Healthc J Soc Simul Healthc. 2013; 8: 487
- PICU nurses' pain assessments and intervention choices for virtual human and written vignettes.J Pediatr Nurs. 2015; 30: 580-590
- Defining and assessing professional competence.JAMA. 2002; 287: 226-235
- Assessment of pain management skills in emergency medicine residents: the role of a pain education program.J Emerg Med. 1999; 17: 349-354
- Can a pain management and palliative care curriculum improve the opioid prescribing practices of medical residents?.J Gen Intern Med. 2002; 17: 625-631
- The cost of satisfaction: a national study of patient satisfaction, health care utilization, expenditures, and mortality.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 405-411
- Introduction to assessment in the health professions.in: Downing S.M. Yudkowsky R. Assessment in health professions education. 1st edn. Routledge, New York2009: 1-20
- The assessment of clinical skills/competence/performance.Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 1990; 65: S63-S67
- The next GME accreditation system—rationale and benefits.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1051-1056
- Educational milestone development in the first 7 specialties to enter the next accreditation system.J Grad Med Educ. 2013; 5: 98-106
- Emergency medicine milestones.J Grad Med Educ. 2013; 5: 5-13
- Mitigating the risk of opioid abuse through a balanced undergraduate pain medicine curriculum.J Pain Res. 2013; 6: 791-801
- Medical students retain pain assessment and management skills long after an experiential curriculum: a controlled study.Pain. 2009; 145: 319-324
- The case for using industrial quality management science in health care organizations.JAMA. 1989; 262: 2869-2873
- Choosing analgesics wisely: what we know (and still need to know) about long-term consequences of opioids.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 65: 500-502
Reprints are not available from the authors.