Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
- A review of agitation in mental illness: burden of illness and underlying pathology.J Clin Psychiatry. 2006; 67: 5-12
- Management of agitation. Emergency psychiatry and violence.in: Tasman A. Lieberman J.A. Kay J. First M.B. Riba M.B. Psychiatry. 4th edn. Wiley Publishing, Oxford, UK2014: 2479-2486
- Overview of Project BETA: best practices in evaluation and treatment of agitation.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 1-2
- Expert consensus guideline series: treatment of behavioral emergencies.Postgrad Med. 2001; : 1-88
- First generation antipsychotics are still preferred in the emergency department but are often not administered with adjunctive medications.J Emerg Med. 2015; 49: 901-906
- Despite expert recommendations, second-generation antipsychotics are not often prescribed in the emergency department.J Emerg Med. 2014; 46: 808-813
- The agitated patient in the emergency department.Curr Emerg Hosp Med Rep. 2015; 3: 188-194
- The psychopharmacology of agitation: Consensus Statement of the American Association for Emergency Psychiatry Project BETA Psychopharmacology Workgroup.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 26-34
- Are depot antipsychotics more coercive than tablets? The patient’s perspective.J Psychopharmacol. 2010; 24: 1483-1489
- Graded evidence-based medicine summaries for the Journal of Emergency Medicine (GEMS for JEM): are oral medications effective in the management of acute agitation?.J Emerg Med. 2012; 43: 854-859
- Cochrane schizophrenia group.Schizophr Bull. 2008; 34: 259-265
- Treatment resistant schizophrenia: a comprehensive survey of randomised controlled trials.BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14: 253
- A Scoping review: communication between emergency physicians and patients in the emergency department.J Emerg Med. 2016; 50: 734-743
- Acute treatment of psychotic agitation: a randomized comparison of oral treatment with risperidone and lorazepam versus intramuscular treatment with haloperidol and lorazepam.J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 65: 386-394
- Olanzapine orally disintegrating tablet vs. risperidone oral solution in the treatment of acutely agitated psychotic patients.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2008; 30: 367-371
Herrera M. Double-blind study with risperidone vs. haloperidol in schizophrenic patients with agitation and/or aggression. Proceedings of the 8th World Congress of Psychiatry, September 10–15, 2005, Cairo, Egypt.
- Comparison of intramuscular olanzapine, orally disintegratng olanzapine tablets, oral risperidone solution, and intramuscular haloperidol in the management of acute agitation in an acute care psychiatric ward in Taiwan.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010; 30: 230-234
- Comparison of risperidone orodispersible tablet and intramuscular haloperidol in the treatment of acute psychotic agitation: a randomized open, prospective study.Neuropsychobiology. 2010; 62: 81-86
- Risperidone versus haloperidol, in combination with lorazepam, in the treatment of acute agitation and psychosis: a pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.J Psychiatr Pract. 2006; 12: 103-108
- Validation of the Excited Component of the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS-EC) in a naturalistic sample of 278 patients with acute psychosis and agitation in a psychiatric emergency room.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2011; 9: 18
Currier G, Allen MH, Hughes D, et al. American Association for Emergency Psychiatry Survey. Presented at the American Psychiatric Association 51st Institute on Psychiatric Services, October 29−November 2, 1999, New Orleans, LA.
- Emergency physicians research common problems in proportion to their frequency.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 344-350
- A single-dose, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of sublingual asenapine for acute agitation.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2014; 130: 61-68
- Alternative delivery systems for agents to treat acute agitation: progress to date.Drugs. 2013; 73: 1783-1792