African tick-bite fever is an increasingly common cause for fever in the returning traveller. It needs to be considered in the febrile returning traveller with a characteristic rash: a black eschar.
We describe a 51-year-old man returning from South Africa who presented to our emergency department with fever, headache, myalgia, and chills. On careful history and skin examination, a black eschar was found on the patient's left lateral shoulder, pointing toward a diagnosis of African tick-bite fever. The patient was treated with doxycycline and rapidly improved.
Why Should an Emergency Physician be Aware of This?
In the emergency department, the diagnosis of African tick-bite fever is often overlooked in the pursuit of ruling out other travel-related illnesses, such as malaria. A thorough history, a complete physical examination, and a high level of suspicion are essential to the timely diagnosis and treatment of African tick-bite fever in the returning traveller.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- African tick-bite fever in a returning traveler.J Emerg Med. 2015; 48: 562-565
- Tick-borne rickettsioses around the world: emerging diseases challenging old concepts.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2005; 18: 719-756
- Rickettsia africae, a tick-borne pathogen in travelers to sub-Saharan Africa.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1504-1510
- African tick-bite fever after a game-hunting expedition.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: e14
- African tick-bite fever in traveler returning to Slovenia from Uganda.Emerg Infect Dis. 2016; 22: 1848
- A case of African tick-bite fever in a returning traveler.IDCases. 2016; 5: 78-79
- African tick bite fever.Lancet Infect Dis. 2003; 3: 557-564
- Tick bite fever and arthritis associated with travel to Africa.Ann Rheum Dis. 2004; 63: 1703-1704
- Sub-acute neuropathy in patients with African tick bite fever.Scand J Infect Dis. 2006; 38: 114-118
- African tick bite fever in elderly patients: 8 cases in French tourists returning from South Africa.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 47: e28-e35
Published online: October 06, 2017
Accepted: August 2, 2017
Received in revised form: June 29, 2017
Received: May 17, 2017
Reprints are not available from the authors.
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.