The Segway® Personal Transporter™ (SPT) is used widely as a means of transport for city sightseeing tours, law enforcement, and professionals working in large facilities and factories.
We conducted a systematic review of the literature to assess SPT-related injuries. Following the PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analysis) guidelines, we queried PubMed from 1990 to 2017. The search terms Segway, personal transporter, and injury were used. Only English-language studies were included. Data were extracted from each article, specifically the sample size, study setting, and design, as well as the prevalence of specific injuries.
A total of six articles were included that included data on 135 patients. Sample size per study varied from 1 to 41 patients. Studies occurred in both the emergency department and inpatient settings, including medical-surgical wards, and intensive care units. The most commonly reported injuries were orthopedic cases (n = 45), maxillofacial cases (n = 13), neurologic cases (n = 8), and thoracic cases (n = 10).
The SPT is an innovative transportation method; however, its use is associated with a wide range of injuries. Many of these injuries require hospital admission and surgical intervention, incurring significant morbidity and high costs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A Moving History.(Segway. Our Story So Far 2016. Available at:)http://www.segway.com/about/our-storyDate accessed: August 5, 2017
- Reliable Iconic Fun.(Segway Spec Sheet. Available at:)http://www.segway.com/media/1447/i2sept-spread.pdfDate accessed: August 5, 2017
- Spasticity changes in SCI following a dynamic standing program using the Segway.Spinal Cord. 2012; 50: 595-598
- The Segway Personal Transporter as an alternative mobility device for people with disabilities: a pilot study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 88: 1423-1428
- Serious injuries related to the Segway® Personal Transporter: a case series.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 57: 370-374
- Segway® related injuries in Vienna: report from the Lorenz Böhler Trauma Centre.Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg. 2016; 42: 203-205
- Segway boss Jimi Heselden dies on segway: Are Segways safe?.2010 (Available at:)http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/segway-accident-kills-jimi-heselden-segway-boss/story?id=11736855Date accessed: August 9, 2017
- Injuries following Segway Personal Transporter accidents: case report and review of the literature.West J Emerg Med. 2015; 16: 693-695
- The quickest way to A&E may be via the Segway.BMJ Case Rep. 2013; 2013 (bcr2013009671)
- Two cases of hip associated fractures after falls from the Segway Personal Transporter.Emerg Med Open Access. 2014; 4: 1-2
- Traumatic injuries associated with Segways and personal transporters.Am Surg. 2009; 75: 722-724
- Skateboard-related injuries: not to be taken lightly. A National Trauma Databank Analysis.J Trauma. 2010; 69: 924-927
- An analysis of US emergency department visits from falls from skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, roller-skating, and using nonmotorized scooters.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2016; 55: 738-744
- Epidemiology of bicycle injuries and risk factors for serious injury. 1997.Inj Prev. 2015; 21: 47-51
- Incidence of golf cart-related injury in the United States.J Trauma. 2008; 64: 1562-1566
- Amusement ride safety bulletin.2015 (Available at:)https://broadwaypartyrental.com/wp-content/uploads/US-AMUSEMENT-RIDE-SAFETY-2015.pdfDate accessed: November 5, 2017
Published online: January 08, 2018
Accepted: December 1, 2017
Received in revised form: November 12, 2017
Received: September 12, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.