A 57-year-old man with a history of end-stage renal disease presented to the Emergency Department with a painful, ulcerated lesion on his glans penis for a 2-week duration (Figure 1). He denied associated symptoms, and the remainder of the physical examination was unremarkable.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Calciphylaxis in chronic renal failure.J Am Soc Nephrol. 1996; 7: 978-982
- Penile and generalised calciphylaxis in peritoneal dialysis.BMJ Case Rep. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2014-209153
- Calcifying panniculitis or 'simple' inflammation? Biopsy is better than a bone scan.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1997; 12: 2463-2464
- Penile gangrene due to calcific uremic arteriopathy.Ann Afr Med. 2011; 10: 181-184
- An unusual site for calciphylaxis: a case report.Gynecol Endocrinol. 2013; 29: 91-92
- Calciphylaxis: emerging concepts in prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.Semin Dial. 2002; 15: 172-186
- Sodium thiosulfate, bisphosphonates, and cinacalcet for treatment of calciphylaxis.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2008; 65: 1419-1429
- Three cases of penile calciphylaxis: diagnosis, treatment strategies, and the role of sodium thiosulfate.Urology. 2012; 80: 5-8
- Penile calciphylaxis: analysis of risk factors and mortality.J Urol. 2003; 169: 2206-2209
Published online: March 07, 2018
Accepted: February 6, 2018
Received: January 28, 2018
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.