Dr. Laura Dean: Today's case is that of a 26-year-old man who was transferred to the emergency department (ED) by ambulance from the scene of a fall from a fourth-story window. The patient had been drinking alcohol that evening and the fall was witnessed, however, no additional information regarding the context of the fall was available. On the arrival of emergency medical services (EMS), the patient was unresponsive with a systolic blood pressure in the 80s and a heart rate in the 110s. His breathing was agonal, and he was intubated in the field without medication. En route, he received 500 cc of normal saline.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pelvic fractures: epidemiology and predictors of associated abdominal injuries and outcomes.J Am Coll Surg. 2002; 195: 1-10
- Association of pelvic fracture patterns, pelvic binder use and arterial angio-embolization with transfusion requirements and morality rates; a 7-year retrospective cohort study.BMC Surg. 2017; 17: 104
- Atlanto-occipital dislocation.World J Orthop. 2015; 6: 236-243
- Identifying survivors with traumatic craniocervical dissociation: a retrospective study.J Surg Res. 2010; 160: 3-8
- Prognostic factors in traumatic altanto-occipital dislocation.J Clin Neurosci. 2016; 33: 63-68
- The diagnosis and management of traumatic atlanto-occipital dislocation injuries.Neurosurgery. 2013; 72: 114-126
- Occipitocervical dissociation-incidence, evaluation, and treatment.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2016; 9: 247-254
Published online: June 01, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.