A 61-year-old man with a history of agoraphobia, was found unresponsive on the floor of his bathroom by his sister, with whom he lives. He had not left his home for more than 5 minutes in the past 20 years. His sister reported that he was ambulatory the day before but had asked her to bring him peroxide to treat two toenails that had fallen off. She noticed a wound on his left ankle that day as well. After finding him unresponsive she called Emergency Medical Services.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Deaths from necrotizing fasciitis in the United States, 2003–2013.Epidemiol Infect. 2016; 144: 1338-1344
- Skin and soft tissue infections.Surg Clin North Am. 2009; 89: 403-420
- Necrotizing fasciitis: clinical presentation, microbiology, and determinants of mortality.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003; 85: 1454-1460
- Early diagnosis of necrotizing fasciitis.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: e119-e125
- Imaging of musculoskeletal soft tissue infections.Skeletal Radiol. 2010; 39: 957-971
- The LRINEC (Laboratory Risk Indicator for Necrotizing Fasciitis) score: a tool for distinguishing necrotizing fasciitis from other soft tissue infections.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32: 1535-1541
- Validation of the laboratory risk indicator for necrotizing fasciitis (LRINEC) score for early diagnosis of necrotizing fasciitis.Tzu Chi Med J. 2012; 24: 73-76
- Inadequate sensitivity of laboratory risk indicator to rule out necrotizing fasciitis in the emergency department.West J Emerg Med. 2016; 17: 333-336
Published online: July 25, 2019
Accepted: May 16, 2019
Received: May 15, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.