During a recent, busy evening shift I found myself spending a bit more time in the room of a child with an uncomplicated viral upper respiratory infection. Instead of explaining my expected course of illness or supportive care, the bulk of my time was spent sitting with the young parents reviewing a collection of websites on their smartphone, all with information they had collected on caring for fever and cough for their toddler.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Internet health information seeking and the patient-physician relationship: a systematic review.J Med Internet Res. 2017; 19: e9
- Dr Google in the ED: searching for online health information by adult 254 emergency department patients.Med J Aust. 2018; 209: 342-347
Rothrock SG, Rothrock AN, Swetland SB, et al. Quality, trustworthiness, readability, and accuracy of medical information regarding common pediatric emergency medicine-related complaints on the web. J Emerg Med.
- AMA suggests resolutions for a healthy New Year.(Available at:)www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ama-suggests-resolutions-for-a-healthy-new-year-74680162.htmlDate accessed: December 20, 2001
- AMA offers 10 health recommendations for New Year’s resolutions.(Available at:)https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-offers-10-health-recommendations-new-years-resolutionsDate accessed: June 10, 2019
- A remedy for your health-related questions: health info in the Knowledge Graph.(Available at:)https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/health-info-knowledge-graph.htmlDate accessed: June 10, 2019
- Internet and technology. Fact sheets.(Available at:)https://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/Date accessed: June 10, 2019
- Pinterest blocks vaccination searches in move to control the conversation.(Available at:)https://www.wsj.com/articles/next-front-in-tech-firms-war-on-misinformation-bad-medical-advice-11550658601?mod=djemHL_tDate accessed: June 8, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Quality, Trustworthiness, Readability, and Accuracy of Medical Information Regarding Common Pediatric Emergency Medicine-Related Complaints on the WebJournal of Emergency MedicineVol. 57Issue 4Open Access