Wandering spleen is defined as the localization of the spleen in the lower parts of the abdomen or the pelvic region, rather than the left upper quadrant. The torsion of wandering spleen is a rare clinical condition.
We evaluate a case diagnosed with torsion of wandering spleen and underwent splenectomy in our hospital and discuss it in light of the literature. A 26-year-old man presented to the emergency department with abdominal pain and abdominal distention. The patient was diagnosed with the torsion of wandering spleen based on computed tomography scan results.
Why Should an Emergency Physician be Aware of This?
The torsion of wandering spleen is rare in patients presenting with acute abdominal pain, but it is an important condition that should be considered in the differential diagnosis. The diagnosis of wandering spleen should be made before the development of potentially life-threatening complications. Emergency surgery should be undertaken in patients with splenic infarction.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anatomic variations of the spleen: current state of terminology, classification, and embryological background.Surg Radiol Anat. 2018; 40: 21-29
- Splenic torsion, a challenging diagnosis: case report and review of literature.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2018; 44: 212-216
- Emergencies in the treatment of wandering spleen.Isr Med Assoc J. 2018; 20: 354-357
- Torsion of wandering spleen as a rare reason for acute abdomen: a presentation of two cases.Ulus Cerrahi Derg. 2013; 29: 200-202
- Torsion of huge wandering accessory spleen. Case report and review of literature.Int J Surg Case Rep. 2017; 38: 131-135
- Splenic anomalies of shape, size, and location: pictorial essay.ScientificWorldJournal. 2013; 2013: 321810
- Torsion of the wandering spleen.Am J Med Sci. 2019; 357: e17-e18
- Torsion of wandering spleen with infarction.Cureus. 2018; 10: e3177
- Wandering spleen: an overview.Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2018; 47: 68-70
- Surgical treatment of patients with wandering spleen: report of six cases with a review of the literature.Surg Today. 2007; 37: 261-269
Published online: March 20, 2020
Accepted: January 12, 2020
Received in revised form: January 1, 2020
Received: October 28, 2019
Reprints are not available from the authors.
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.