Dr. Todd Jaffe: This is the case of a 49-year-old man who presented to the Emergency Department (ED) with unresponsiveness. The patient had a history of hyperlipidemia on rosuvastatin 40 mg daily but was healthy prior to the day of presentation. Per the patient's son, the patient had two glasses of wine with dinner the previous night and was otherwise in his usual state of health prior to going to sleep. He was last seen well at 8:00 pm. The following day, his son heard a loud thud from his father's bedroom at 12:45 pm. He entered the room to find his father on the floor, unable to move, and he immediately called 911. On Emergency Medical Services (EMS) arrival to the scene, they found the patient on the floor intermittently blinking, but not moving his extremities. Finger stick blood glucose was 107 mg/dL. EMS placed a cervical collar at the scene and transported the patient to the hospital. A 12-lead electrocardiogram (ECG) obtained in the ambulance demonstrated a sinus rhythm at a rate of 92 beats/min with evidence of a right bundle branch block, 3-mm ST depressions in leads V4–V6, and 5-mm T-wave inversions in leads V1 and V2 (Figure 1).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Vertebral artery injury. StatPearls.StatPearls Publishing, Treasure Island, FL2020 (Available at:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470363/Date accessed: July 10, 2020
- Traumatic vertebral artery injury: a review of the screening criteria, imaging spectrum, mimics, and pitfalls.Pol J Radiol. 2019; 84: e307-e318
- Non-traumatic cervical artery dissection and ischemic stroke: a narrative review of recent research.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2019; 187: 105561
- Central pontine and extrapontine myelinolysis: a systematic review.Eur J Neurol. 2014; 21: 1443-1450
- Central pontine myelinolysis complicating treatment of the hyperglycaemic hyperosmolar state.Ann Clin Biochem. 2008; 45: 440-443
- A case of central pontine myelinolysis caused by hypophosphatemia secondary to refeeding syndrome.Case Rep Neurol. 2015; 7: 196-203
- [Cardioembolic stroke: epidemiology].Neurologia. 2012; 27 ([in Spanish]): 4-9
- Brain-heart axis--review article.J Med Life. 2015; 8: 266-271
- Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: 2019 update to the 2018 Guidelines for the Early Management of Acute Ischemic Stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Stroke. 2019; 50: e344-e418
- Streamlining door to recanalization processes in endovascular stroke therapy.J Neurointerv Surg. 2017; 9: 340-345
- Imaging of the brain in acute ischaemic stroke: comparison of computed tomography and magnetic resonance diffusion-weighted imaging.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005; 76: 1528-1533
- A multicenter randomized controlled trial of endovascular therapy following imaging evaluation for ischemic stroke (DEFUSE 3).Int J Stroke. 2017; 12: 896-905
- Thrombectomy 6 to 24 hours after stroke with a mismatch between deficit and infarct.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 11-21
- A randomized trial of intraarterial treatment for acute ischemic stroke.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 11-20
- Endovascular therapy for ischemic stroke with perfusion-imaging selection.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1009-1018
- Mechanical thrombectomy after intravenous alteplase versus alteplase alone after stroke (THRACE): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 1138-1147
- Time to treatment with endovascular thrombectomy and outcomes from ischemic stroke: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2016; 316: 1279-1288
- Complications of endovascular treatment for acute ischemic stroke: prevention and management.Int J Stroke. 2018; 13: 348-361
Published online: August 19, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.