Choledocholithiasis and cholecystitis are commonly encountered in clinical practice and most often manifest as right upper quadrant pain (
1). However, acute cholecystitis accompanying choledocholithiasis presenting as back pain referred from a disrupted visceral organs can be challenging to differentiate from musculoskeletal pain (
- Berhane T.
- Vetrhus M.
- Hausken T.
- Olafsson S.
- Søndenaa K.
Pain attacks in non-complicated and complicated gallstone disease have a characteristic pattern and are accompanied by dyspepsia in most patients: the results of a prospective study.
Scand J Gastroenterol. 2006; 41: 93-101
2). This case showcases an elderly patient who presented urgently with concerns of back pain and an abdominal right lower quadrant palpable mass that was subsequently diagnosed as an extremely dilated gallbladder associated with choledocholithiasis and superimposed cholecystitis.
- Atlas S.J.
- Deyo R.A.
Evaluating and managing acute low back pain in the primary care setting.
J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 120-131
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pain attacks in non-complicated and complicated gallstone disease have a characteristic pattern and are accompanied by dyspepsia in most patients: the results of a prospective study.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2006; 41: 93-101
- Evaluating and managing acute low back pain in the primary care setting.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 120-131
- Choledocholithiasis associated with acute cholecystitis.Arch Surg. 1979; 114: 887-888
- Preoperative predictors of choledocholithiasis in patients presenting with acute calculous cholecystitis.Gastrointest Endosc. 2019; 89: 977-983.e2
- Common bile duct stones—their presentation, diagnosis and management.Indian J Surg. 2009; 71: 229-237
- Predicting complicated choledocholithiasis.J Surg Res. 2012; 177: 70-74
Published online: February 19, 2021
Accepted: January 17, 2021
Received: December 1, 2020
© 2021 Published by Elsevier Inc.