Why Should an Emergency Physician Be Aware of This?
- Loperamide-induced torsades de pointes: a case series.J Emerg Med. 2017; 53: 339-344
- Poor man's methadone: a case report of loperamide toxicity.Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2015; 36: 268-270
- Brugada syndrome associated with adolescent loperamide abuse.Pediatrics. 2018; 142e20181423
- Epidemiologic trends in loperamide abuse and misuse.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 73-78
- Loperamide trends in abuse and misuse over 13 years: 2002–2015.Pharmacotherapy. 2017; 37: 249-253
- Loperamide-related deaths in North Carolina.J Anal Toxicol. 2016; 40: 677-686
- I just wanted to tell you that loperamide WILL WORK": a web-based study of extra-medical use of loperamide.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013; 130: 241-244
Published May 12, 2016 (Available at:)https://erowid.org/pharms/loperamide/Date accessed: August 1, 2020
- Proarrhythmic mechanisms of the common anti-diarrheal medication loperamide: revelations from the opioid abuse epidemic.Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2016; 389: 1133-1137
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Loperamide (marketed as Imodium A-D) information. Published January 29, 2018. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/loperamide-marketed-imodium-d-information. Accessed 2 July 2020.
- Coadministration of P-glycoprotein modulators on loperamide pharmacokinetics and brain distribution.Drug Metab Dispos. 2014; 42: 700-706
- Loperamide: a pharmacological review.Rev Gastroenterol Disord. 2007; 7 (suppl): S11-S18
- Identification of cytochrome P450 isoforms involved in the metabolism of loperamide in human liver microsomes.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2004; 60: 575-581
- Loperamide dependence and abuse.BMJ Case Rep. 2015; 2015bcr2015209705
- Increased drug delivery to the brain by P-glycoprotein inhibition.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2000; 68: 231-237
- Loperamide toxicokinetics: serum concentrations in the overdose setting.Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2015; 53: 495-496
- Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: a practical approach.4th edn. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2016
- A mechanistic link between an inherited and an acquired cardiac arrhythmia: HERG encodes the IKr potassium channel.Cell. 1995; 81: 299-307
- Brugada-type pattern on electrocardiogram associated with high-dose loperamide abuse.J Emerg Med. 2018; 54: 484-486
- Loperamide mimicking Brugada pattern.Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J. 2018; 14: e1-e3
- Conduction disturbances and ventricular arrhythmias associated with high-dose loperamide.J Clin Toxicol. 2016; 6 (doi:10.4172/2161-0495.1000309)
- Incidence of Brugada electrocardiographic pattern and outcomes of these patients after intentional tricyclic antidepressant ingestion.Am J Cardiol. 2007; 100: 656-660
- Effect of sodium channel blockers on ST segment, QRS duration, and corrected QT interval in patients with Brugada syndrome.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2000; 11: 1320-1329
GPD1L glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase 1 like [Homo sapiens (human)]. Gene ID: 2819 [updated 6-May-2021]. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene?Db&Cmd=DetailsSearch&Term=2819. Accessed 18 May 2021.
- Mutation in glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase 1 like gene (GPD1-L) decreases cardiac Na+ current and causes inherited arrhythmias.Circulation. 2007; 116: 2260-2268
- Whole-exome sequencing identifies a novel mutation of GPD1L (R189X) associated with familial conduction disease and sudden death.J Cell Mol Med. 2018; 22: 1350-1354
Lists of: Scheduling Actions Controlled Substances Regulated Chemicals. (Accessed 3 July 2020), 2020.
Prior Publications/Presentation: Presented as an abstract at the 2020 North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology conference. Citation: Rague J, Hoppe J. A case of a 22-year-old male presenting with torsades de pointes and a Type-1 Brugada pattern in the setting of chronic loperamide misuse. North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology (NACCT) Abstracts 2020. Clin Toxicol 2020;58:1075–280. doi:10.1080/15563650.2020.1804238