Why Should an Emergency Physician Be Aware of This?
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Diagnosis and management of red eye in primary care.Am Fam Physician. 2010; 81: 137-144
Frings A, Geerling G, Schargus M. Red eye: a guide for non-specialists [published correction appears in Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2017 Sep 22;114(38):641] [published correction appears in Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2017 Jul;114(24):418]. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2017;114:302–2.
Figures – Sexually Transmitted Disease Surveillance, 2019. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Published April 13, 2021. Accessed October 17, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/std/statistics/2019/figures.htm
- An update on the global epidemiology of syphilis.Curr Epidemiol Rep. 2018; 5: 24-38
- Syphilis.Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017; 3: 17073
- Syphilis: review with emphasis on clinical, epidemiologic, and some biologic features.Clin Microbiol Rev. 1999; 12: 187-209
- Syphilis.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2021; (Accessed March 24, 2022)
- Ocular syphilis – a case series of four patients.J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2021; 19: 987-991
- Syphilitic uveitis: a review of clinical manifestations and treatment outcomes of syphilitic uveitis in human immunodeficiency virus-positive and negative patients.Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2010; 38: 68-74
- Syphilis exposure in patients with uveitis.Ophthalmology. 1997; 104: 1605-1609
Sexually Transmitted Infections Treatment Guidelines. Neurosyphilis, Ocular Syphilis, and Otosyphilis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Published July 22, 2021. Accessed October 17, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment-guidelines/neurosyphilis.htm
- Don't forget what you can't see: a case of ocular syphilis.West J Emerg Med. 2016; 17: 473-476
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Primary and secondary syphilis—United States, 2005-2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 402-406
- Uveitis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected persons with CD4+ T-lymphocyte count over 200 cells/mL.Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2014; 42: 118-125
- Uveitis in HIV positive patients.Br J Ophthalmol. 2000; 84: 233-235
Katz DA, Berger JR, Duncan RC. Neurosyphilis. A comparative study of the effects of infection with human immunodeficiency virus [published correction appears in Arch Neurol 1993 Jun;50(6):614]. Arch Neurol 1993;50:243–9.
- Clinical and laboratory characteristics of ocular syphilis: a new face in the era of HIV co-infection.J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect. 2015; 5: 56
- Ocular syphilis—indicator of previously unknown HIV-infection.J Infect. 2009; 58: 32-36
Written consent was obtained from the patient. A copy of the consent is available upon request.