Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Patient- and practice-related determinants of emergency department length of stay for patients with psychiatric illness.Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 60 (e5): 162-171
- Is medical clearance necessary for pediatric psychiatric patients?.J Emerg Med. 2014; 46: 800-807
- Trends in U.S. emergency department visits for mental health conditions, 1992 to 2001.Psychiatr Serv Wash DC. 2005; 56: 671-677
- Emergency department visits for mental health conditions among US children, 2001–2011.Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2014; 53: 1359-1366
Owens PL, Mutter R, Stocks C. Mental health and substance abuse-related emergency department visits among adults, 2007: Statistical brief #92 [Internet] In: Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) statistical briefs. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US); 2006. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK52659/. Accessed September 29, 2021.
Trends in emergency department visits, 2006–2014 #227 [Internet]. Available at: https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb227-Emergency-Department-Visit-Trends.jsp. Accessed September 29, 2021.
President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health. Report of the Subcommittee on Acute Care. Meeting Minutes, March 5, 2003. Available at: http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/mentalhealthcommission/minutes/march03.htm. Accessed September 29, 2021.
- Hospital psychiatry for the twenty-first century.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: 685-688
- Shrinking inpatient psychiatric capacity: cause for celebration or concern?.Issue Brief Natl Health Policy Forum. 2007; 823: 1-21
American College of Emergency Physicians; American Psychiatric Association; National Alliance for the Mentally Ill; National Mental Health Association. Psychiatric emergencies survey 2004. Available at: https://www.nami.org/Press-Media/Press-Releases/2004/Emergency-Departments-See-Dramatic-Increase-in-People. Accessed September 29, 2021.
- Psychiatric bed reductions and mortality among persons with mental disorders.Psychiatr Serv. 2000; 51: 851
American College of Emergency Physicians psychiatric and substance abuse survey, 2008. Available at: http://www.acep.org/uploadedFiles/ACEP/Advocacy/federal_issues/PsychiatricBoardingSummary.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2021.
- The impact of psychiatric patient boarding in emergency departments.Emerg Med Int. 2012; 2012360308
American College of Emergency Physicians Emergency Medicine Practice Committee. Practical solutions to boarding of psychiatric patients in the emergency department. Does your emergency department have a psychiatric boarding problem? An information paper. October 2015. Available at: https://www.acep.org/Content.aspx?id.100612. Accessed September 29, 2021.
Bender D, Pande N, Ludwig M, for the Lewin Group. A literature review: psychiatric boarding. Prepared for Office of Disability, Aging and Long-Term Care Policy, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, US Department of Health and Human Services, contract HHS-100-03-0027, October 29, 2008. Available at: http://aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/reports/2008/PsyBdLR.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2021.
- The effect of emergency department crowding on clinically oriented outcomes.Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16: 1-10
- American College of Emergency Physicians Clinical Policies Subcommittee (Writing Committee) on the Adult Psychiatric Patient, Nazarian DJ, Broder JS, et al. Clinical policy: critical issues in the diagnosis and management of the adult psychiatric patient in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 480-498
- Physical illness manifesting as psychiatric disease. II. Analysis of a state hospital inpatient population.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1980; 37: 989-995
- Diagnostic errors in the evaluation of behavioral disorders.JAMA. 1982; 248: 964-967
- Emergency department medical clearance of patients with psychiatric or behavioral emergencies, part 2: special psychiatric populations and considerations.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2017; 40: 425-433
- Medical clearance' of patients with acute mental health needs in the emergency department: a literature review and practice recommendations.WMJ. 2019; 118: 156-163
- American Association for Emergency Psychiatry Task Force on Medical Clearance of Adults part I: introduction, review and evidence-based guidelines.West J Emerg Med. 2017; 18: 235-242
- American Association for Emergency Psychiatry Task Force on Medical Clearance of Adult Psychiatric Patients. Part II: controversies over medical assessment, and consensus recommendations.West J Emerg Med. 2017; 18: 640-646
Practice Guidelines for the Psychiatric Evaluation of Adults, 3rd edition. In: The American Psychiatric Association Practice Guidelines for the Psychiatric Evaluation of Adults. American Psychiatric Association; 2015. Available at: http://psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.books.9780890426760.pe02. Accessed January 28, 2020.
- Medical screening of mental health patients in the emergency department: a systematic review.J Emerg Med. 2018; 55: 799-812
- Pitfalls in the care of the psychiatric patient in the emergency department.J Emerg Med. 2012; 43: 829-835
- Prospective evaluation of emergency department medical clearance.Ann Emerg Med. 1994; 24: 672-677
- Prevalence, severity, and co-occurrence of chronic physical health problems of persons with serious mental illness.Psychiatr Serv Wash DC. 2004; 55: 1250-1257
- The quick confusion scale in the ED: comparison with the mini-mental state examination.Am J Emerg Med. 2001; 19: 461-464
- Behavioral emergencies: differentiating medical from psychiatric disease.Emerg Med Pract. 2002; 4: 1-18
- Emergency room medical clearance: an educational problem.Am J Psychiatry. 1979; 136: 787-790
- Emergency medical evaluation of psychiatric patients.Ann Emerg Med. 1994; 23: 859-862
- Medical clearance and screening of psychiatric patients in the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 1997; 4: 124-128
- Medical clearance” of psychiatric patients without medical complaints in the emergency department.J Emerg Med. 2000; 18: 173-176
- Routine laboratory testing to evaluate for medical illness in psychiatric patients in the emergency department is largely unrevealing.West J Emerg Med. 2009; 10: 97-100
- Assessment of routine laboratory screening of adult psychiatric patients presenting to an emergency centre in Cape Town.S Afr Med J. 2011; 101: 891-894
- Medical clearance of the psychiatric patient in the emergency department.J Emerg Med. 2012; 43: 866-870
- Value of mandatory screening studies in emergency department patients cleared for psychiatric admission.West J Emerg Med. 2012; 13: 388-393
- A retrospective review of screening labs for medical clearance in a military population.Mil Med. 2015; 180: 1128-1131
- Effects of mandatory screening labs in directing the disposition of the apparently healthy psychiatric patient in the emergency department.US Army Med Dep J. 2017; 2-17: 18-24
- Routine laboratory screening for acetaminophen and salicylate ingestion in preadmission psychiatric patients is unnecessary.Ann Emerg Med. 2021; 77: 604-612
- Medically cleared”: how well are patients with psychiatric presentations examined by emergency physicians?.J Emerg Med. 2008; 35: 369-372
- Prospective evaluation of medical clearance.Prim Psychiatry. 2008; 15: 59-64
- Comparison of EPs’ and psychiatrists’ laboratory assessment of psychiatric patients.Am J Emerg Med. 2004; 22: 175-180
- Medical clearance: fact or fiction in the hospital emergency room.Psychosomatics. 1990; 31: 400-404
- Children's mental health emergencies–part 2: emergency department evaluation and treatment of children with mental health disorders.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2008; 24: 485-498
- What does “medical clearance” for psychiatry really mean?.J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2010; 48: 2-4
- Delirium in older emergency department patients: recognition, risk factors, and psychomotor subtypes.Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16: 193-200
- Prevalence and documentation of impaired mental status in elderly emergency department patients.Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7: 1166
- Emergency department length-of-stay for psychiatric visits was significantly longer than for nonpsychiatric visits, 2002-11.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1698-1706
Abid Z, Meltzer A, Lazar D, Pines J. Psychiatric boarding in U.S. EDs: a multifactorial problem that requires multidisciplinary solutions. Center for Health Care Quality. Available at: https://hsrc.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/sphhs_policy_chcq/1/. Accessed September 29, 2021.
- Trends in the duration of emergency department visits, 2001-2006.Psychiatr Serv. 2010; 61: 878-884
- ED recommendations for suicide prevention in adults: the ICAR2E mnemonic and a systematic review of the literature.Am J Emerg Med. 2020; 38: 571-581
- Behavioral health crisis stabilization centers: a new normal.J Mental Health Clin Psychol. 2021; (Available at) (Accessed September 29)https://www.mentalhealthjournal.org/articles/behavioral-health-crisis-stabilization-centers-a-new-normal.html
- The use of telepsychiatry to provide cost-efficient care during pediatric mental health emergencies.Psychiatr Serv. 2018; 69: 161-168
- Implementing an emergency department telephone follow-up program for suicidal patients: successes and challenges.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2019; 45: 725-732
Vibrant Emotional Health website. Vibrant and 988. Available at: https://www.vibrant.org/988/. Accessed September 29, 2021.