Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Incidence of brain death in the United States.Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2020; 195105885
Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. Annual record trend continues for deceased organ donation, deceased donor transplants. Available at: https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/news/annual-record-trend-continues-for-deceased-organ-donation-deceased-donor-transplants/ Accessed January 9, 2022.
- Solid organ donation from the emergency department–missed donor opportunities.CJEM. 2020; 22: 701-707
Trillium Gift of Life Network. Organ and tissue donation: the facts; 2019. Available at: https://www.beadonor.ca/about-donation. Accessed December 20, 2021.
- Lives of a cell: notes of a biology watcher.Penguin Books, New York1974
- First clinical-grade porcine kidney xenotransplant using a human decedent model.Am J Transplant. 2022; 22: 1037-1053
- Xenotransplantation: past, present, and future.Curr Opin Organ Transplant. 2017; 22: 513-521
- Synthetic organs for regenerative medicine.Cell Stem Cell. 2012; 10: 646-647
- 3D bioprinting: an attractive alternative to traditional organ transplantation.Biomed Sci Eng. 2019; 5: 7-18
- Donation after circulatory determination of death lung transplantation for pulmonary arterial hypertension: passing the toughest test.Am J Transplant. 2015; 15: 3208-3214
- Circulatory death determination in uncontrolled organ donors: a panel viewpoint.Ann Emerg Med. 2014; 63: 384-390
American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). Emergency medicine's role in organ and tissue donation. Reaffirmed February 2018, April 2012, October 2006, October 2000. Originally approved April 1996. Available at: www.acep.org/patient-care/policy-statements/emergency-medicines-role-in-organ-and-tissue-donation/. Accessed November 5, 2022.
- Effect of a multidisciplinary program to improve organ donation in the emergency department.Eur J Emerg Med. 2021; 28: 58-63
National Archives, Code of Federal Regulations. 42 CFR 482.45a)1) Condition of participation: Organ, tissue, and eye procurement. Available at: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-42/chapter-IV/subchapter-G/part-482/subpart-C/section-482.45. Accessed October 29, 2022.
- Outcome in patients with blunt head trauma and a Glasgow Coma Scale score of 3 at presentation.J Neurosurg. 2009; 111: 683-687
- Evidence-based guideline update: determining brain death in adults: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology.Neurology. 2010; 74: 1911-1918
- Variability in reported physician practices for brain death determination.Neurology. 2019; 92: e888-e894
- Commentary: false positives in the diagnosis of brain death.Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 2019; 28: 648-656
Uniform Law Commission. Determination of Death Committee home page. Available at: https://www.uniformlaws.org/committees/community-home?communitykey=a1380d75-62bc-4a5b-ba3a-e74001a9ab57. Accessed September 14, 2022.
- Teleneurology for determination of death by neurologic criteria: adapting to the times.Neurology. 2021; 96: 691-692
- The importance of emergency medicine in organ donation: successful donation is more likely when potential donors are referred from the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16: 850-858
- Emergency department referral for organ donation: more organ donors and more organs per donor.Am J Surg. 2014; 207: 728-733
- Brain death and deceased organ donation in a hospital in İstanbul, Turkey: the effect of early identification of brain dead on organ donation rates: a retrospective study.Istanbul Med J. 2020; 21: 115-119
- Solid organ donation from the emergency department – a systematic review.CJEM. 2019; 21: 626-637
- End-of-life conversations with families of potential donors.Transplantation. 2017; 101: S17-S26
- Organ donation and transplantation: awareness and roles of healthcare professionals–a systematic literature review.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27: e726-e738
- Explaining brain death: a critical feature of the donation process.J Transpl Coord. 1997; 7: 14-21
- Analysis of factors influencing organ donation consent rates.J Transpl Coord. 1994; 4: 132-134
- Ethical debate over organ donation in the context of brain death.Bioethics. 2010; 24: 54-60
- Medical experts & Islamic scholars deliberating over brain death: gaps in the applied Islamic bioethics discourse.Muslim World. 2011; 101: 53-72
- Structuring conversations on the fact and fiction of brain death.Am J Bioethics. 2014; 14: 31-33
- Comparing organ donation decisions for next-of-kin versus the self: results of a national survey.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e051273
- Impact of technology-based interventions on linking potential kidney donors and transplant candidates: a scoping review.Transpl Int. 2021; 34: 2781-2793
- Development and preliminary evaluation of a patient-facing educational video about live kidney donor surgical complications.Transplant Direct. 2021; 7: e744
- Storytelling to inspire dialysis patients to learn about living donor kidney transplant.Blood Purif. 2021; 50: 655-661
- Donor referral from outside the intensive care unit: a multidisciplinary cooperation model using communication apps and redefining referral criteria.Med Intensiva (Engl Ed). 2020; 44: 142-149
Organ Donation and the Emergency Department Strategy Group, NHS Blood and Transplant. (November 2016, revised November 2019). Organ donation and the emergency department: a strategy for implementation of best practice. Available at: https://nhsbtdbe.blob.core.windows.net/umbraco-assets-corp/2098/ed-strategy-final-nov-2016.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2021.
- Protocols for uncontrolled donation after circulatory death: a systematic review of international guidelines, practices and transplant outcomes.Crit Care. 2015; 268: 1-15
- Development of the emergency preservation and resuscitation for cardiac arrest from trauma clinical trial.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017; 83: 803-809
- Prehospital termination of resuscitation in cases of refractory out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1432-1438
- Derivation of the uncontrolled donation after circulatory determination of death protocol for New York City.Am J Transplant. 2011; 11: 1417-1426
- Frozen ethics: melting the boundaries between medical treatment and organ procurement.Am J Bioeth. 2017; 17: 22-24
- The dead donor rule and organ transplantation.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 674-675
- Potential of donation after unexpected circulatory death programs defined by their demographic characteristics.Transplant Direct. 2022; 8: e1263
- Lesson from the New York City Out-of-Hospital Uncontrolled Donation After Circulatory Determination of Death Program.Ann Emerg Med. 2016; 67 (e39): 531-537
- Resumption of cardiac activity after withdrawal of life-sustaining measures.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 345-352
- Spanish experience as a leading country: what kind of measures were taken?.Transpl Int. 2011; 24: 333-343
- The impact of presumed consent laws and institutions on deceased organ donation.Eur J Health Econ. 2012; 13: 29-38
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Pub. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Pub. 100-07 State Operations; Provider Certification. Pub. 100-07 State Operations; Provider Certification. May 23 , 2014.
- Burying our mistakes: dealing with prognostic uncertainty after severe brain injury.Bioethics. 2020; 34: 612-619
- A case for stopping the early withdrawal of life sustaining therapies in patients with devastating brain injuries.J Intensive Care Soc. 2016; 17: 295-301