Sildenafil citrate (Viagra®) is used to treat male erectile dysfunction; however, little is known about the effects of sildenafil overdose and intoxication. We report a patient who presented with cerebral infarction and rhabdomyolysis after intentional sildenafil intoxication.
A 61-year-old man visited the Emergency Department complaining of dysarthria about 1 h after taking more than 30 sildenafil tablets with the intention to commit suicide. Dysarthria and dizziness were observed, but there were no other neurological symptoms. The creatine kinase level was elevated to 3118 U/L, and the patient was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis. Brain magnetic resonance imaging revealed multiple scattered acute cerebral infarctions in both midbrain artery branches. At 4 h post-intoxication, the dysarthria had improved and we initiated dual antiplatelet therapy for cerebral infarction.
Why Should an Emergency Physician Be Aware of This? Emergency physicians should be able to anticipate and treat complications like cerebral infarction and rhabdomyolysis after sildenafil intoxication.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Overall cardiovascular profile of sildenafil citrate.Am J Cardiol. 1999; 83: 35-44
- Bilateral cerebral hemispheric infarction associated with sildenafil citrate (Viagra®) use.Eur J Neurol. 2008; 15: 306-308
- Transient ischemic attack and stroke associated with sildenafil (Viagra) use.Neurology. 2001; 57: 1730-1731
- Safety of sildenafil citrate: review of 67 double-blind placebo-controlled trials and the postmarketing safety database.Int J Clin Pract. 2010; 64: 240-255
- Fatal overdosage with sildenafil citrate (Viagra): first report and review of the literature.Hum Exp Toxicol. 2002; 21: 623-629
- Case report: association of combined nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) and obstruction of cilioretinal artery with overdose of Viagra®.J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2005; 21: 315-317
- Drugs. 1999; 57: 967-989
- ACC/AHA expert consensus document. Use of sildenafil (Viagra) in patients with cardiovascular disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999; 33: 273-282
- Oral sildenafil in the treatment of erectile dysfunction.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 1397-1404
- The effect of sildenafil citrate (Viagra) on cerebral blood flow in patients with cerebrovascular risk factors.Acta Neurol Scand. 2010; 121: 370-376
- Atrial fibrillation and continuous hypotension induced by sildenafil in an intermittent WPW syndrome patient.Jpn Heart J. 1999; 40: 827-830
- Acute, symptomatic atrial fibrillation after sildenafil citrate therapy in a patient with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy.Am J Med Sci. 2000; 320: 69-71
- Mechanisms and management of stroke in the elderly.CMAJ. 1991; 145: 433
- Atrial fibrillation and stroke prevention.Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6: 981-993
- A non-fatal self-poisoning attempt with sildenafil.J Anal Toxicol. 2015; 39: 572-576
- Fatal variceal rupture after sildenafil use: report of a case.Curr Surg. 2005; 62: 55-56
- Atorvastatin and sildenafil interaction-induced rhabdomyolysis.Ann Pharmacother. 2020; 54: 1047-1048
- Sildenafil overdose can cause rhabdomyolysis and subjective visual perception changes.Nephrology (Carlton). 2014; 4: 258
- Sildenafil-simvastatin interaction: possible cause of rhabdomyolysis?.Am Fam Physician. 2001; 63: 636-637
- Rhabdomyolysis: review of the literature.Neuromuscul Disord. 2014; 24: 651-659
Published online: February 24, 2023
Accepted: February 17, 2023
Received in revised form: January 14, 2023
Received: August 30, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Uncorrected Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.