A 32-year-old man with no significant medical history or recent trauma presented to the emergency department with blurred vision, proptosis, redness, and pain of the left eye, which had been increasing over the previous 2 weeks. The right eye was normal. Physical examination of the left eye revealed injection, proptosis, afferent pupillary defect, decreased visual acuity (OS 20/60, OD 20/20), increased intraocular pressure (IOP) (OS 31 mm Hg, OD 13 mm Hg), and an audible bruit of the left eye (Figure 1). His neurologic examination was otherwise normal.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sonographic clue in non-traumatic carotid-cavernous fistula: report of a case and literature review.Acta Neurol Taiwan. 2020; 29: 18-23
- Carotid-cavernous and orbital arteriovenous fistulas: ocular features, diagnostic and hemodynamic considerations in relation to visual impairment and morbidity.Orbit. 2003; 22: 121-142
- Orbital color Doppler ultrasound as noninvasive tool in the diagnosis of anterior-draining carotid-cavernous fistula.Radiol Med. 2016; 121: 301-307
- Orbital ultrasound in the selective screening of a dural-cavernous sinus fistula.Eur J Emerg Med. 2013; 20: 137-139
- Thin-section MR imaging for carotid cavernous fistula.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2020; 41: 1599-1605
- Color-mapping of 4D-CTA for the detection of cranial arteriovenous shunts.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2019; 40: 1498-1504
- Interventional treatment of carotid cavernous fistula.J Clin Neurosci. 2011; 18: 1072-1079
Published online: March 01, 2023
Accepted: February 17, 2023
Received in revised form: December 9, 2022
Received: October 27, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Uncorrected Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.