We read with interest the article “Do Higher Doses of Naloxone Increase the Risk of Pulmonary Complications?” by Acus et al., as it attempted to answer an important clinical question (
1). The article aimed to examine the effect of increasing doses of naloxone and its relationship to pulmonary complications in the setting of opioid toxicity. Because the opioid epidemic has been fueled by synthetic opioids (i.e., fentanyl and fentanyl analogs) and reports of “naloxone resistance” have occurred, understanding proper naloxone dosing and potential risks is critical (
- Acus K
- Krizo J
- Prete S
- et al.
Do higher doses of naloxone increase the risk of pulmonary complications?.
J Emerg Med. 2023; 64 (00–00)
- Somerville NJ
- O'Donnell J
- Gladden RM
- et al.
Characteristics of fentanyl overdose - Massachusetts, 2014-2016.
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 382-386
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Emergency Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Do higher doses of naloxone increase the risk of pulmonary complications?.J Emerg Med. 2023; 64 (00–00)
- Characteristics of fentanyl overdose - Massachusetts, 2014-2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 66: 382-386
- A phase I trial of naloxone treatment in acute spinal cord injury.J Neurosurg. 1985; 63: 390-397
- A randomized, controlled trial of methylprednisolone or naloxone in the treatment of acute spinal-cord injury. Results of the Second National Acute Spinal Cord Injury Study.N Engl J Med. 1990; 322: 1405-1411
- Physiological effects of high dose naloxone administration to normal adults.Life Sci. 1982; 30: 2025-2031
- Biostatistics and epidemiology for the toxicologist: incidence and prevalence.J Med Toxicol. 2022; 18: 56-57
- Oedema of the left lung-morphia poisoning.Montreal Gen Hosp Rep. 1880; 1: 291
Published online: March 04, 2023
Accepted: February 23, 2023
Received: November 29, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.